Monday, April 23, 2007

Rosarito to Ensenada

Saturday, April 21, 2007 was my first substantial time on my new toy: my road bike. What a wonderful, long day it was. The day started before the sun decided to peak in the east. I woke up at 4:45 to pack my bags and get my bike prepared for my first road bike "race" in Mexico. My traveling companion was the very funny, super energetic, all-star athlete Krista Davis. What a wonderful traveling companion she was (although she did want to take a nap as soon as we entered Mexico, just when I needed her navigation skills the most). We arrived in Rosarito around 9:00 am, which gave us plenty of time to meet up with the rest of the gang from Santa Monica (from left to right, Miriam Oh, Eva, Kevin Ditty, Sarah Zobell, Me).

The Rosarito to Ensenda "race" is actually called a 50 mile "fun ride," which it ended being, but I put some effort behind the ride and made it my own personal race. My goal was to work hard the entire race and to finish at around 3 hours. We all started together, but I soon fell behind the pack when my chain fell off. After a quick fix I jumped back on the saddle (one that after the race, I didn't ever feel like sitting on again) and was off. With approximately 8,000 riders, it was somewhat difficult to weave in and out. So the first few miles I was riding at a steady slow pace with the rest of the pack.

During the ride, I enjoyed people watching. There were so many unique an fun people involved in the ride. I saw one person that dressed their bike up to look like a cow, another person was wearing a full suit and tie combo and was getting married at the end of the ride, but the one costume that got me laughing the most was Sponge Bob Square Pants. Thank goodness for fun people in this world that are out there to make other peoples day brighter. Sponge Bob did it for me!

I finished the 50 ride in 3 hours flat. My legs could have gone longer, but my butt was so happy to see the finish line. Next time I will have to get the super duper diaper spandex shorts!

After everyone in the group crossed the finish line (On the right, Krista and Me, AKA "Team Fuji"), we all sat down and feasted on fresh Mexican tacos! The end.


3 comments:

Christine said...

You look hot in your spandex gear! :) ha..

Shadow - JingQin said...

I bought a bike for myself last year too but I never gone for a 3 hours riding!! Jia You!!

Mark said...

Hey Brian. I wish I could have been there riding with you. You are an animal for riding 50 miles in 3 hours. Bravo.